[Sca-cooks] Re: [EKCooksGuild] Playing with my food again...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Jul 12 03:25:00 PDT 2005

On Jul 11, 2005, at 11:01 PM, Phlip wrote:

> OK, a couple days ago, I tried Adamantius' Pork Shoulder recipe.

Ur, just to avoid further confusion, I don't think I posted the
recipe to EK Cooks, just to SCA-Cooks. It was a pretty standard, more
or less generic, sorta pan-Latino recipe for pernil al horno or
pernil asado, or slow-roasted pork shoulder picnic. Maybe Phlip can
forward the post to EK-Cooks, or I'll dig it out later, but I got it
from a website that appears now to be defunct. I posted it because I
had mentioned it a couple of times previously, and used the recipe
enough times in succession to determine that it's pretty much
foolproof and consistently excellent.

> Ant of you
> who like pork, try it- it's absolutely excellent ;-) Only one
> warning/modification- throughout it, he refers to lifting up the
> "fat" to
> get the rub in- I emailed him about it, because our shoulder came
> with fat
> and skin- yes, partially remove the fat _AND SKIN_.

All true. I was quoting the original recipe, and while I did do
things like translating fractions to decimal lest they get eaten in
transit, I didn't notice that particular source of confusion, or if I
did, I just assumed it was a cultural thing or a dubious translation.
But then I've never seen a pork picnic shoulder that came without the
skin, so I've become quite used to dealing with it without too much
conscious thought.

> The meat was flavorful and tender, the skin was delightfully crisp,
> and very
> much a tasty addition to the rest of the shoulder. Rob and Margali
> apparently didn't like the skin,

Huh -- I'm a bit surprised, they being fans of chicharrones and
all... is it conceivable all did not go according to plan?

> so poor suffering me had to eat it all up-
> Woe is me, woe to my cholesterol, but DAMN, it was good ;-)

Oh, yes, this something that'll almost surely kill you pretty quickly
if you ate it every day for a prolonged period. Besides, cholesterol
is just something made up by Evil Scientists in New York City, isn't
it? [My niece was taught this about dinosaurs and fossils in a public
elementary school in Valdosta, Georgia.]

> And, those of you who don't think you'll like the skin- don'r
> remove it,
> other than the loosening you do to get the rub into the meat.
> Replace it,
> and salt it, even if you think you won't eat it, because the skin
> is what
> keeps all the juices in, and makes the meat so utterly delectible.

Well, I believe the recipe states you can do the roast without the
skin -- say, if you wanted to use another cut or some such, but that
the crispy skin is a selling point for most people. I've even used
the basic process for loin pork chops, and it makes great pork chops;
the meat acquires a lovely perfume and tenderness. But it's not
pernil al horno ;-).

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782