[Sca-cooks] Re: Spun Sugar

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Jul 14 09:32:45 PDT 2005

"Italian cooks were also farther ahead of their English counterparts in
the use of sugar paste and other confections.  They had developed "spun
sugar" prior to the 1600s. and even had an academy prior to 1615
dedicated to the art of freezing and making sugary ices.(9)"
Source :
9. David, Elizabeth.  "The Harvest of Cold Months, Petits Propos
Culinaires, #3
as cited in
"Of Sugar and Confections" by Alys Katharine, O.L., O.P. (Elise Fleming).
in the Florilegium

I think we can document the ices, but the "spun sugar"?
Was the source here that same Venetian banquet served to Henri III?

Johnnae