[Sca-cooks] Re: Spun Sugar

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 14 19:01:29 PDT 2005

Carole Smith wrote:

>I have a vivid memory of getting some hot sugar syrup on my fingers once.  It held a lot of heat and was hard to wash off quickly because of its viscosity.  No way would I voluntarily make a sugar thread this way.
>
>Cordelia Toser

Hot sugar can be nasty stuff.  One of my co-workers got 2nd degree burns
on her arms between where the oven mits ended and her sleeves started
while flipping over a large tray of pecan buns (if she hadn't run
straight to the sink and kept the cold water running over the burn area,
it would have been even worse).

That being said, the tips of your fingers, when repeatedly subjected to
large doses of heat for short periods at a time, will eventually develop
a resistance to it.  Just ask anyone who has hand turned comfits in a
frying pan for any length of time :-)  When you are dealing with a very
small amount of hot sugar between the pads of your fingertips, it's a
much more controled circumstance than accidentally spilling a big glob
of the stuff on a more sensitive part of your hand or anywhere else on
your body.

Of course, common sense and caution should always be exercised when
dealing with hot sugar syrup.

Faerisa