[Sca-cooks] Danelaw feast

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 19:04:44 PDT 2005

Aoghann,

It sounds wonderfully delicious!  You have put together a very nice selection of dishes.

It would be most reasonable to believe they imported the more common spices, such as cinnamon, cumin, coriander seed, saffron, and black pepper, and dates, that early.
But I am a little concerned that even in Yorvik, a busy center of commerce in the 9th century, that they would have grains of Paris five centuries before they were in common use in Europe.

I do not have early sources in my home library to confirm this suspicion of mine, so don't feel I am telling you not to use the ingredient.

Good luck with your feast and please share your recipes with us when you have them finalized.

Cordelia Toser