[Sca-cooks] Danelaw feast

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jul 16 13:41:01 PDT 2005

The problem I see with this is "grains of paradise" appears to be the
author's comment rather than a statement of the inventory of the estate of
the Venerable Bede.  Also, there is argument as to whether the term "grains
of paradise" was ever applied to cardamom.  You might check the Florilegium
for tha last big argument over this.

After the fall of the Western Empire, exotic spices continued to be
available in Europe as an import via Byzantium, but they would have been
expensive, difficult to obtain and it is likely they were used more as
medicine than spice.

It also occurs to me that Bede could have actually had Afromomum melegueata.
Bede was a cleric just after the Celtic Church was absorbed by Rome.  The
Celtic Church had established missions into Africa and these were only just
being overrun by Islam in Bede's day.  While there is no evidence to support
Bede having melegueta pepper, it is possible that some had made it to the
British Isles by 735, but wouldn't be available in 975 due to the Islamic
expansion.

Bear