[Sca-cooks] Danelaw feast

Mark S. Harris MarkSHarris at austin.rr.com
Sat Jul 16 14:35:30 PDT 2005

> > SNIPPED--This is predominately a
> > 9th Century Anglo-Saxon feast, though I believe it would be
> recognized
> > and enjoyed by all living within the area. I have pulled heavily upon
> > the work of Mary Savelli, who in turn pulled heavily upon the work of
> > Ann Hagen and Maggie Black. Period sources include:
> > Anthimus, De obseruatione ciborum, translated by Mark Grant
> > Ælfric, Colloquy, edited by Garmonsway
> > Bald's Leechbook, edited by Cockayne
> > Lacnunga, edited by Grattan and Singer
> > Medicina de quadrupedibus, edited by Vriend
> > Peri Didaxeon, edited by Löweneck
> > Recipes, edited by Cockayne
> > Comments? This is my first early period feast. I do not offend
> easily,
> > so please comment freely (like that is a problem on this list ;) ).
> > Aoghann

I'm rather surprised that these two books are not on either Aoghann's
or Johnnae's lists:
Hagen, Ann. A HANDBOOK OF ANGLO-SAXON FOOD. Processing and Consumption.
  Anglo-Saxon Books, Nisslwawx, England. 1992.  This is not a cookbook
per say, but a book about Anglo-Saxon food and foodways.  HIGHLY
RECOMMENDED.

Hagen, Ann. A SECOND HANDBOOK OF ANGLO-SAXON FOOD & DRINK: PRODUCTION &
DISTRIBUTION. Anglo-Saxon Books. 1995.  An excellent book about the
foods available in that time period, and information on how they were
eaten. Not a cookbook, but good information about the food and
foodways.  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

While I have both books I've never found the time to finish reading
them, so I don't know how much she goes into spices, but they would be
good resources for Anglo-Saxon food, even if they don't cover spices.
Those are Mistress Jaelle of Armida's review comments.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com