[Sca-cooks] Danelaw feast - Take Two

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Sat Jul 16 21:01:31 PDT 2005

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:

>Note, unless these are dried peas, they would be very out of season.

Right.

>? why radishes? I would love to see this recipe...

The readishes are in the Savelli recipe, I will post this one below...

>>   * Peru on Wine (pears in wine sauce): Pears, red wine, honey,
>>     cinnamon, cloves, cumin, pepper
>>
>Has
>anyone tried this with mead or perry?

Mead? What a wonderful idea! I will give it a try. (Wine was rare?)

> I would use a different berry than strawberry, one of the fall berries,
>
>or make a sauce of dried reconstituted berries.

I was just thinking of serving it without any berries. It is good by
itself and would go well with the pears, should someone wish to combine
them.

Barley Pilaf:
Savelli is going from a medicinal recipe in Lacnunga 1.60.1

(for 4 to 6)

1 cup barley
4 cups water for soaking
4 radishes, minced (1/4 cup)
2 Tbs butter
1/4 cup water
1 3/4 cup broth or stock
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cinnamon

1. Soak the barley in water for four hours. Drain the water and reserve
the barley.
2. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan; saute the radish.
3. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring the mixture to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat. Cover the pan with a lid and let the mixture simmer
40 to 60 minutes, or until the barley is tender.

(I used quick barley, a vegetable stock, sauted the radishes, added to
the barley with butter and salt. Rather nice.)

Aoghann