[Sca-cooks] Danelaw feast - Take Two

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 17 12:46:26 PDT 2005

Wasn't there a wine trade in England on the earlier side?  It is my understanding that when the weather got colder (more or less corresponding to Elizabethan times) that they could no longer grow wine grapes and became dependant on wine from other countries.

Cordelia Toser

Volker Bach <carlton_bach at yahoo.de> wrote:
Am Sonntag, 17. Juli 2005 06:01 schrieb Lonnie D. Harvel:

> >> * Peru on Wine (pears in wine sauce): Pears, red wine, honey,
> >> cinnamon, cloves, cumin, pepper
> >
> >Has
> >anyone tried this with mead or perry?
>
> Mead? What a wonderful idea! I will give it a try. (Wine was rare?)

I'm not sure about it being rare, given the alcohol-soaked lifestyle of
Germamnic upper classes, but definitely expensive and imported. You can grow
grapes in England and it was done in period, but the effort is not repaid in
quantity or quality (abnd even if the weather was better in the 9th and 10th
centuries I doubt it was that good). Wine was a major article of trade later
in period, and for an English household to be cooking with wine is making a
statement of wealth, roughly similar to using cold-pressed French grape seed
oil for pan-frying today (I know someone who did this. It works, but what a
waste...).

Giano