[Sca-cooks] Danelaw feast

otsisto otsisto at socket.net
Sun Jul 17 14:47:44 PDT 2005

Short notes on info I have gleaned through time.

Alliums -- onion, garlic, leek
* I believe that shallots are included here for early period.

Roots -- carrot, parsnip, probably radish and turnip.
*Turnips are a northern staple and can be found all the way in Iceland.

(snip)
Herbs -- definitely dill, chervil, mint, parsley, marjoram; sage and thyme
should be okay
*Mints - you may want to exclude Peppermint as I believe that it is a late
period hybrid. Hybrid of marshmint and spearmint.
Rockets, so I have been told may have been early period but so far it is
mentioned in medieval times at the earliest.

Seeds -- coriander, black cumin, probably mustard
*Fennel seeds may have, but this to is from a medieval source.
(snip)
As far as oils go, olive oil is an import, but apparently a fairly common
one -- right up there with wine. Oil could also be have been made locally
from rapeseed or walnuts. Animal fats were, of course, much more common. I
use oil only in Lenten dishes, where animal fat would be forbidden.
*Would flax seed oil been around?

Cynara

*Lyse