[Sca-cooks] Danelaw feast - Take Two

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 18 03:33:31 PDT 2005

But is it served as a spread?
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise<mailto:jenne at fiedlerfamily.net>
  To: Cooks within the SCA<mailto:sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
  Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2005 1:11 AM
  Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Danelaw feast - Take Two

  > As far as flavored butter, I have not, nor have several of my
  >friends, found a reference to flavored butter (as a spread) in a
  >cookbook that we found trustworthy.

  What about the spiced german butter? Not a honey butter, though.

   'Wolfenb?ttel Manuscript' aka 'Mittelniederdeutsches Kochbuch', North
  germany, mid-15th century (the book contains almost unchanged recipes
  from both the Buoch von guoter Spicse and the Harpestreng tradition, so
  at least parts of it go back considerably fartther.)

  "59. Men schal nemen garophesneghele unde musschaten, cardemomen, peper,
  ingever, alle lickwol gheweghen, unde make daraff botteren edder kese.

  You shall take cloves, nutmeg, cardamom, pepper and ginger, in equal
  weight, and add butter or cheese. "