[Sca-cooks] OOP Question -Sassafras

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jul 18 23:33:22 PDT 2005

Nancy Kiel commented:
> Sasafras might not be OOP---when they settled Jamestown in 1607,
> sassafras was one of the things they were looking for, which implies
> there was already a market for it.  I believe it was used medicinally.

I'd be interested in seeing more details of this. If I'm correct,
sassafras is a New World plant, and except for possibly Florida, I
don't think it grows where the Spanish and Portuguese were. So where
would it have come from to get to Europe to develop a market before the
English New World colonies? Bear, do you have more info on this, such
as the native range of sassafras?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas