[Sca-cooks] semi OT question on steer butchering and costs

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Tue Jul 19 07:05:03 PDT 2005

I can't speak specifically to organically raised beef, per se, but
I can tell you that it sounds like a good price to me. My sister
buys a steer from the local FFA every year. It is usually one of
the champion steers. She pays more than the going rate because it
is a charity auction and I think it comes out to about $4 a pound
after processing. However, the caveat is that it is the best beef
you have ever tasted. It is tender, perfectly marbled, and cooks
up like a dream. I can literally cut a 1 1/2 inch steak with a
butter knife...like it was buttah! :) I am completely spoiled now
when it comes to beef.

An important factor is to specify how you want the meat packaged
during processing. If you have a small family, ask them to package
it in smaller packages. The first time my sister did this, we
ended up with 5lb packages of hamburger. My family consists of me
and my daughter who couldn't eat that much hamburger in a week. We
also got packages of 5 steaks. Also, if you want specific cuts
then you need to tell them ahead of time. I had to go research 7-
bone steak and pike's peak roast because I'd never heard of them
before. Still haven't figured out what to do with the roast...I'm
thinking pot roast?

The last time she got a pig, too. Damn, that was a good pig. I
still have one package of ribs and some pork chops left.

So anyway, the point is that while it might be a bit more
expensive than running down to the grocery store, the quality is
exponentially better. I took some ground beef to a friend's house
as my contribution towards dinner...everyone commented what a
difference the quality of the meat makes...in tacos! If you can
tell a difference in taco meat, then you know it is good stuff!

My two shillings,
Ysabeau