[Sca-cooks] Re: Nibbles

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Jul 20 07:07:06 PDT 2005

On Jul 20, 2005, at 1:36 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Rachaol mentioned:
>
>>     So nibbles at that time would be pretty alien to people in a
>> culture
>> who can bop into the Quickie Mart and get a Moon-Pie, R-C and a bag o
>> peanuts. Though I suppose it is the same in that their snacks would
>> also be simple and easily available.
>>

> Well, what about the period street venders, such as the ones shown
> in the woodcuts with racks of pretzels?

Or the waferers, etc. I also can't help but think of dipping into the
pot of pottage at an inn, and also a cup of chewy ale, as additional
pieces of the puzzle.

Recently I was reading an Indian cookbook (you know, these books have
text other than recipes ;-)  ), and it included a fairly detailed
account of a typical day in the life of an Indian nawab that probably
applied into the early 20th century. This schedule involved getting
up around 4 AM, an hour or two of exercise, tea, riding or hunting, a
huge English-style breakfast, making state visits, correspondence, a
substantial Indian lunch, a short nap, more state visits, holding
court, more tea, a small snack, more business, more state visits,
returning home to receive state visits, a second, evening court
session, and an hour or so of family time before a fairly late
dinner. Interspersed through all of it are medicinal doses of both
spoonfuls of sugared almond paste at various times, and often a tiny
dose or two of opium to help with the aches and pains any elderly man
might have with such a busy schedule.

I suspect that a medieval European nobleman with an even remotely
similar schedule (say, any responsible earl) would require more than
two or three meals a day, spaced hours apart.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04