[Sca-cooks] New Topic - Farmer's Market vs Chain Grocery

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 21 20:38:55 PDT 2005

I went to the State Farmer's Market in Montgomery Monday.  Bought tomatoes (real tomatoes, not pink plastic balls), Chilton County Peaches, Sweet Potatoes, Southern Field Peas, and Baby Lima Beans.  The beans and peas were already shelled in quart bags.  I paid $8.00 per quart.  Today I bought frozen quart bags of locally grown Southern Field Peas and Baby Limas from Food World for $4.00 a bag.  The Chilton County Peaches at Food World were 3/4 the price of the Farmer's Market.  The Sweet Potatoes are also a better price.  All the produce (except the tomatoes) was much better looking at the grocery.  I will probably only return to the Farmer's Market for tomatoes in the future.
Has anyone else had a similar or different experience?

Mordonna

Johnna Holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu> wrote:
I just checked and no messages in 24 hours.
So is the list up or not? If it's this quiet, perhaps
it's time to move onto conversation on Midwestern hot dishes
and Jell-O salads.
Our major culinary project of late is the best way to create
frozen lemonade slushes and ices. Otherwise, it's far too hot to
cook.

Johnnae