[Sca-cooks] Pea Flour/Bread

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jul 22 10:49:19 PDT 2005

Sadaf.com has chickpea flour.  An outfit in Canada called Century produces
commercial peqa flour from yellow peas.  And there are a couple of Italian
companies that produce pea flours.

In general, pea flour is used in flat breads as it has no gluten to rise
properly.  Mixing it with wheat flour will produce a dough that will rise.
I would check Flatbreads of the World for recipes.

Texture of the finished product depends on how fine the flour is milled.

Bear

    My next experiment (and no, I haven't given up on period sundrieds yet)
is to attempt to bake a few loaves of pea flour bread.  Has anyone here had
any experience on the topic?  I know I could check the Florilegium (Which I
can spell without checking now), but since the list has been quiet, thought
I'd get a conversation going along with that Farmers market one.

What I'm looking for is:
Can you buy it commercially?
How does it bake?
What considerations do you need to make in regards to taste/texture/cooking
times?