Harry Potter was Re: [Sca-cooks] OT OP Nothing in 24 hours

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 22 23:12:52 PDT 2005

Actually, I guess I am the only one who was disappointed in HBP.  To me, it was very predictable
and the kids don't act like any 16 year olds I have ever known.  When J.K. hinted that an
important character was going to die, I had figured out who it was long before the book came out,
and I was correct. It was obvious that J.K. had to eliminate this person so that Harry would be
the only person who could face down HWMNBN in the next book. I wasn't certain who the HBP was
before I got the book, but once I started reading, it was immediately clear to me.  That little
intro was a dead give-away.  I just hope that she doesn't wimp out and bring the dead characters
back with the "We faked our death so that we could work undercover" type story-line.

As for the 16 year olds, Harry is being way too docile.  He should be experimenting more and being
more curious about his powers and what he can and cannot do.  In the previous book, J.K. has Harry
being more angry, but she has dropped that in this book.  I wish that she hadn't.  J.K. never
describes any of the girls physically and doesn't have any of the boys even noticing body parts,
which is what 16 year old boys mostly start doing.  Sure J.K has them starting to experiment with
kissing, but in such a way that makes them sound like 12 or 13 year olds.  Unless Wizardlings and
Witchettes are more physically retarded than the average muggle.  At 16, most kid's hormones are
running rampant and they are struggling to keep them under control.  There isn't even a hint of
that in this book.  The whole jealousy plot is a rehash from previous books.  I didn't like how
she handled the Draco Malfoy storyline through most of the book, although I think she handled him
in his final scene very well.  Of course, this leads to a very contrived death scene.  Why was
Harry immobilized?  So he couldn't help and "save" the person who "died".  So that the person who
did the "killing" would have more credibility with a certain group.  It is so transparent.  The
person who "died" is faking it, otherwise why did Harry have to be immobilized by the person who
died?

Huette