[Sca-cooks] OOP Ice Cream recipe needed

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Jul 30 06:00:41 PDT 2005

On Jul 30, 2005, at 12:38 AM, Nick Sasso wrote:

> Don't have on right at hand, but use your favorite Crème Englaise
> recipe and
> put into the freezer to churn.  It is more of the custard style
> rather than
> the Philadelphia style, which is not so eggy.
>
> niccolo difrancesco

Somewhere I have a book of Victorian English ice cream recipes (a
brief search yesterday did not unearth it, but I STR it's published
by the Metropolitan Museum of Art). It tends to consist of a series
of three recipes, depending on the desired opulence level, for each
flavor of ice cream. They're designated, I guess, as "Rich Vanilla
Ice Cream", "Ordinary Vanilla Ice Cream", and "Cheap Vanilla Ice
Cream", or some such. In general, the "Rich" versions of the recipes
were pretty darned stupendous, while the cheap versions were pretty
good support for arguments that English food is an insult to the
palate (if I'm not mistaken, they involve cooking milk with flour and
sugar to make a sweetened white sauce, kinda like Chocolate Gravy
without the chocolate, which you then freeze).

But the rich version is largely as Fra Niccolo describes it: cream,
eggs, sugar and flavorings cooked into a thin custard and then
frozen. A standard formula for creme anglaise would be a quart of
cream, a dozen yolks, maybe a half to three-quarters of a cup of
sugar, and a vanilla bean scalded in with the cream (or a teaspoon or
two of vanilla extract added). For freezing purposes, you might want
to use only six or eight yolks.

I'll continue to look for that book...

Adamantius