[Sca-cooks]Wine Lees was: Mainz Ham

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Jul 30 14:30:53 PDT 2005

On Jul 30, 2005, at 3:05 PM, Radei Drchevich wrote:

> Please.  What is wine lees??
>
> joy
>
> radei

The dregs or sediment. Basically, when you ferment the wine, you
convert  sugar, which is dense, to alcohol, CO2, and various other
goodies, but since much of the CO2 escapes, you're left with a less
dense and viscous liquid. It's thinner. So, all sorts of suspended
proteins and impurities fall out of it like rain, and land on the
bottom of the container. To clarify it, the best and least intrusive
way is to let gravity do that work, then rack the wine off of the
dregs, leaving them, and a little of the liquid part, behind. That
sludge evidently has some valuable "industrial" uses, like for
pickling hams, for example.

I vaguely remember some reference to the Romans pickling stuff in
wine lees.

Adamantius