[Sca-cooks] Re: chickens on sca cooks

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Jun 3 15:30:12 PDT 2005

I queried Master Johann regarding the Chickens question--

Here are his thoughts--- Johnnae

Thanks for the heads up, with the end of the school
year and all I haven't kept up with all the lists!!

I've read the posts and my first reaction is that the
bird used was not a free range bird, nor necessarily
an adult bird, ie a year old!?  If purchased in a
grocery store this is certainly the case! The texture
and flavors of the adult bird are simply not there
yet, despite the size of the carcass. An adult bird,
and a free range one, is going to have a tougher
carcass that will put up with the long cooking time
and will stand up to the amount of garlic used.

As to the amount of garlic and cooking times, I'm sure
they could be played with to affect the desired out
come.

Though I did not percieve of any specifications in the
recipe dictating an older bird, the evidence given by
length of time and amounts of garlic tell me that that
is probably what the author had in mind.

I hope that helps?

Johann
If you need such a bird, like a year old cock? let me
know!