[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 25, Issue 31

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 5 05:57:30 PDT 2005

I'm currently seeking permission to post the work of others (Rachaol & Basilius).  I'll post when I can.
Helewyse

Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: question about breads

Nailed by absolutes.

Perhaps I should phrase this as, most breads prior to the 16th Century don't
use sugar and when it is used, the sugar is for modifying the taste (as in
Rastons) not boosting the leaven. None of the breads mentioned in the
Assize of Bread (with the possible exception of simnel) would have contained
sugar and most traditional breads that would have been covered under this or
similar statutes use no sugar in the baking. I am fairly certain that no
bread baked by the bakery and served from the pantry used sugar.

These recipes (of which I want both original and translation, please) from
Messisbugo's Libro Novo of 1557, are representative of what the CIA refers
to as fat doughs, highly enriched and flavored. Almost all of these breads
in period appear to be of 16th Century origin, a time when cooks and bakers
experimented with new doughs, fruit stuffed breads, and new pastry
techniques. While these recipes fall into SCA period, they represent the
beginning of modern baking.

Bear