[Sca-cooks] Tree Rats

James thebard3 at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 19 18:12:44 PDT 2005

First off, noise makes can work. And so do the fake owls/hawks, only
thing about them is the fact that you have to move them quite often to
keep up the illusion that they’re real. That’s where most people make
the mistake, they don’t move them enough, or simply don’t move them.

A pellet gun can kill the little buggers but you have to be a good shot
and make sure a stray shot won’t him anything/anyone you don’t want to
hit. And it doesn’t have to be a high powered one so it might be legal
where you are. Same with a blowgun.

A wire snare will work, they aren’t hard to make but some people don’t
like using them. But they do work and if made like someone said earlier
they work well. Have used them myself and the little pests never caught
on. If anyone wants more info on them get back to me and I’ll tell ya more.

As far as something to repel them I do know of a mix that might work, I
know it works for other pests. It’s not too hard to make.

First off, wear gloves when making and spraying this! It’s like tear
gas... Second, if it’s made of plastic once this stuff touches it you
might want to toss it out, been told this stuff will coat plastic and is
very hard to take off.

Stuff needed,
Clean spray bottle (or squirt gun)
pan to use a double boiler
a fairly large glass jar w/ lid
about 1 teaspoon bees wax (for coating non-porous surfaces increase
slightly)
4-6 ox Jojoba oil (helps keep bees wax liquid)
about 3 oz hot pepper, ground ( use cayenne or hotter)
1.5 cups Vodka (can use the really cheap stuff)
Optional 2 tablespoons liquid dish soap

Heat vodka in double boiler, you don’t want to bring it to a boil just
warm it to make an extract of the pepper. When warm stir in hot pepper,
keep this warm till no longer clear. Should be a yellow/orange colour
when done. And depending on the peppers you use and how used to working
with them you are you might need to do this somewhere with good ventilation.

When done take pot off heat and stir in bees wax, when that’s melted add
jojoba. Put lid on and let cool. When cool add whatever else you’re
puttin in.

That’s it, and please label anything this is put in like you would
poison. And this has been used to repel deer so...

Hope this helps,
James P.