[Sca-cooks] [OOP] fruit in ice

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Tue Jun 21 12:59:56 PDT 2005

This is seventeenth century, admittedly, but I just tried it for experiment's
sake (and because I had to defrost a freezer compartment and had a pound of
salt handy). Basically, you loosely stack fresh fruit into a mould, fill it
with water, and freeze it in ice and salt. It looks remarkably pretty, though
I forgot to use distilled water and thus got whitish, semi-opaque ice. If it
was clear it would be even nicer.

Might make a nice summer subtlelty, though eating it will take some time.
Maybe as a centrepiece for a ball or court sideboard? Cold, slightly crunchy
fruit becoming available as their casing thaws.

Giano