[Sca-cooks] More on squirrel recipes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jun 21 14:22:23 PDT 2005

Several folks here have been talking about eating squirrels, aka
tree-rats. Recently someone here posted a website for cooking game. I
noticed that this site has nine recipes and some general info on
cooking squirrels, so I thought some of you might be interested in
this.

The site is:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/martin/newsletters/newsarticles/wildrecipes/
list.html

>  V. SQUIRREL:   Information
> 	1 	 Broiled Squirrel
> 	2 	 Buttermilk Squirrel Pie
> 	3 	 Squirrel Pot Pie
> 	4 	 Squirrel in Dutch Oven
> 	5 	 Squirrel or Rabbit in Crock Pot
> 	6 	 Squirrel Fricassee
> 	7 	 Squirrel with Rice and Potatoes
> 	8 	 Jim Graham's Tar Heel Brunswick Stew
> 	9 	 Squirrel Casserole

And there general information says:

These small fur-bearing animals have scent glands in the small of the
back and under the forelegs and the thighs. These should be removed
without cutting into them. The fat on the squirrel is usually very
spare and most people do not object to its flavor or odor. Squirrel may
be cooked successfully by all good recipes for chicken except that fat
should be added to give the necessary rich flavor. Young tender
squirrels can be fried, broiled, and roasted; older squirrels need to
be simmered, fricasseed, or braised. Tasty squirrel meat is medium red
in color, tender, and has a pleasing flavor. There is little gamy taste
and only the oldest and toughest need parboiling.
<<<

Happy cooking!

Do we have any medieval recipes for squirrel?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com