[Sca-cooks] OT: Stefan has a job!

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jun 25 15:11:20 PDT 2005

Greetings Good Gentles.

I just wanted to share my happy news, especially since a number of you
on this list have been so supportive.

For those who don't know, last December after 22 years at Motorola and
Freescale Semiconductors as an Electronics Engineer doing board level
design, I got laid off. I've been searching for a job since then. I
even interviewed for a test engineering position. That interview did
convince me that while I don't mind working occasional long hours,
being tied to a first shift production work schedule (7 am - 3 pm)
which includes working on the weekend, would not be a good thing for
me, or ultimately, the company. :-)

Anyway, a job opening I had been working on since back in March, just
before Gulf Wars, came through on Thursday. It's taken over three
months to get to this point, and they wanted an answer within 48 hours.
:-) On Friday, I accepted the offer and got my drug test done.

I will start work on July 5 at Celestica, helping design servers
(computers) at IBM. I will then be bringing back knowledge of IBM's
procedures and design processes to Celestica and teaching the folks at
Celestica about these and working to improve how the two companies work
together. IBM has outsourced to Celestica the building of some of their
servers. Both Celestica and IBM are less than 2 miles from my home and
the pay is an increase from what I last had and the benefits are
similar. Neither of which I expected. I will however, be back to three
weeks of vacation. (1 week at Gulf Wars + 2 weeks at Pennsic + ...
oops. Maybe one week at Pennsic. :-) )

I may or may not be able to keep up with this list for awhile because I
will be spending a bunch of time coming up to speed with two different
companies procedures and tools, and perhaps some new technologies. I
also do not know at this point whether I will make it to Pennsic this
August. That would be only five weeks after starting my new job and
politically that might not be the best idea, even if my work schedule
will permit it. I guess I will see near the end of July.

Although much of my information is Austin-specific, I've also been
reading several books on job searches, interviewing and networking. If
anyone else is in the same position of not having a job, I would be
happy to pass on some of the knowledge I've learned these last seven
months.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas