[Sca-cooks] Skin creams

Sharon Gordon gordonse at one.net
Tue Jun 28 09:30:25 PDT 2005

Does anyone have recipes for skin creams that you can use starting in your
20s and have your skin still look good 50 years later?

I have seen a few recipes for creams such as
Olive oil and beeswax with clover, orange peel oil, lavender, or rose oil
which seemed designed mostly for enriching dry skin and providing a nice
scent.

I've enjoyed the various discussions on the bruise healing creams aka
fighter creams.

And I've seen ones with mercury and lead  designed to create clear light
smooth skin which I'm not planning to try!

Also I've read Constance de LaRose's global summary of cream ingredients,
but haven't been able to find the second part of article with the collected
recipes.
"Herbs 99%
Oil or oils of some kind 98%
Wax 82%
Water (plain or infused) 80%
Vinegar 49%
Urine 32%
Lead 28%
Mercury 25%
Dung 20%"

She found recipes in:
Gerard's Herball (1633)
Culpeper's Herbal  (1638)
Culpeper's Physicians Booke  (1633)
The Recipes of the Physicians College of England (1633)
The Writings of Pliny the Elder  (approx. 41 AD)
Mrs. Grieves Herbal  (1927)
Markhams English Huswife (1537)
John Baptista Porta's Book of Natural Magick  (1638)
Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery (1550-1625 or so?)

Which of these (or would you suggest other books?) should I get first on
interlibrary loan that would have the best and most recipes devoted to skin
maintenance?

Sharon
gordonse at one.net