[Sca-cooks] question about breads

rbbtslyr rbbtslyr at comporium.net
Wed Jun 1 11:51:40 PDT 2005

Id did a bit of research in my bread baking books. If I were to freeze the dough after consulting my cook books, I would cut back on the yeast a bit if I froze the dough. The bread yeast is brewers yeast and specifically a lager yeast it will once it wakes up in the kneading, continue to work, although much slower in a freezer, happily but slowly converting starches and sugars that it can digest into CO2, otherwise the changes that should occur are, a finer crumb to the loaf, a slight change in the crust, it might be a bit thinner and a much greater oven spring to the overall loaf due to the extra CO2, also if left to long after comming to size at room temp a collaspe of the top of the bread. I would be sure to add an extra score or two, before baking to allow excess gas and water vapor out to prevent sogginess, also if kept in the freezer for more than a few days.

Kirk

Meddle not in the Affairs of Dragons, for thou art Chrunchy and Taste Good with Catsup or BBQ Sauce

Liberty Hill, SC Elevation 571 ft

Liberty Hill, SC (Kershaw)
Longitude: 80° 48' 7" W (-80.8019°)
Latitude: 34° 28' 41" N (34.4781°)