[Sca-cooks] Chickens in Hochee-

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Jun 1 12:05:39 PDT 2005

> I'm not sold on the idea that it is purely based on theory. I've tried it
> (albeit admittedly with moder boxed birds) and the result is a much juicier
> and softer meat that retains a lot more fat (the parboiled chickens dripped
> hardly at all). This may have been explained in terms of humoral theory, but
> my money is on well above 50% plain experience in the mix. Was that what you
> mean by 'plain observation'?

I think that humoral theory incorporates some measure of plain
observation (phlegmy conditions, for instance, often respond positively
to hot/spiced foods)

> Absolutely. But every now and then I recall so much of our written evidence
> pertains to maybe 5% of the population...

That's where archaeoanthropology comes into use, like the York burials,
and also where other forms of documentation come in (court cases,
inventory records, etc.)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"All of us have special ones who have loved us into being. Would you
just take, along with me, ten seconds to think of the people who have
helped you become who you are. " -- Mr. Fred Rogers