[Sca-cooks] Caid Camping

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 12:28:39 PDT 2005

--- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> I'm curious... it has been quite a while since i actually lived in
> SoCal... With all those mountains east of the LA basin, why are there
> no events east or in the high desert? Or do Caidans just not want to
> get dirty? ;-p
>
> Pure curiosity and ignorance speaking here.

There are events there.  There is the Shire of Al Sahid (Barstow / Victorville, California),
the Barony of Dreiburgen (Riverside and San Bernardino Counties, California), the Barony of Dun Or
(Lancaster / Palmdale area, California), the Canton of Gallavally (Hemet/San Jacinto
Valley/Idyllwild, California), the Canton of Mons Draconis (greater Riverside area, California),
the Barony of Naevehjem (Inyo and northeast Kern Counties, California), the Barony of Nordwache
(Fresno, Madera, Kings and Tulare Counties, California), Pagus Sancti Geronomi (central Riverside,
California), the Canton of Steinsee (Yucca Valley / Twenty-Nine Palms, California), and the Shire
of Wintermist (western Kern County, California}.   They all hold events, mostly local day events,
occasionally Kingdom events and a few hold wars.  Dun Or holds the Darkwell wars, Al Sahid holds
the Highland wars (http://al-sahid.org/highlandwar/index.htm), Nordwache holds the Treasure Chest
wars, along with the Barony of Califia (San Diego/Imperial County, California) which holds
two Potrero wars, on Memorial Day and on Labor Day.  The Kingdom holds the Great Western War,
which you have been to, which is on the border of the Shire of Heatherwyne and the Barony of
Dreiburgen.   There have been other wars off and on, but the above are the wars that have managed
to continue on a regular basis.  There had been three Isabella wars, before Naevehjem was
formed, at Lake Isabella in Kern County, and were autocratted by a lady from Angels.  And the
Barony of Starkhavn (Las Vegas area, Nevada), used to hold Stark Wars, but I haven't seen one of
those is a while.

I believe that my point was not that we didn't have places to hold wars, but that the central
baronies of Caid, Angels, Altavia, Lyondemere, and Gyldenholt are so densely populated, mundanely,
that it is difficult to hold overnight camping events within our borders.  The non-war two
day events are our Kingdom coronations, followed the next day by the Queen's Champion Tourney
[usually not a camping event], Collegium Caidis [also not camping], Winter Weekend, which is
an arts and sciences event, held in the mountains of Dreiburgen, but there is no fighting at
this event, at a private campground with a hall and cabins.  It was originally started by the
Barony of Altavia, because they didn't have a site that would accomodate overnight camping.
Altavia is two baronies and a shire away from the site.  It took the average Altavian 2.5 to
3 hours to drive to this site.  However, the event became so popular that Altavia had given
up proprietorship of this event and the hosting responsibilites are rotated around.  The
last Winter Weekend was hosted by Lyondemere [probably a good 3 to 4 hour drive from there].
And last, but not least, the Shire of Darach (Ventura County, California), holds an annual
A&S weekend event called Black Oak Lodge, very similar to Winter Weekend, in a private camp
grounds in Ventura County.  Unfortunately, because of the unusual rains we had this year,
Darach had to cancel this event.

But despite all of this, the majority of our events are one day, day-trip type events.

What I have mentioned above may seem a lot to some, but the Caidan Calendar is  very complicated
and overly full.  There are 33 groups vying for 52 weekends, not counting the four groups in
Hawaii.  When you factor in the rule that Kingdom events don't have competition for their
days, this makes the available days even fewer.  Most Baronies have three or four or more events
each year.  That also is one good reason why there are so many day events.  Lyondemere might have
an event on a Saturday, while Altavia has their event on Sunday.  There is also a rule that two
groups within 100 miles of each other cannot have events on the same day, this makes things even
tighter.  So Califia (San Diego) might have an event on the same day as Nordewache (Fresno) and
also Western Seas (Hawaii).  Gyldenholt (Orange County) might conflict with Starkhavn (Las Vegas)
but they can't with Angels (Los Angeles).

I hope that this clears things up with you.

Huette