[Sca-cooks] potash leavening

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jun 4 09:08:41 PDT 2005

Lye (caustic potash) is the liquid produced by leaching wood ash containing
potassium hydroxide.  Potash is the potassium carbonate produced by
evaporating lye in a pot.  The chemistry is rather complex (which means I
don't fully understand the process), but drying the leach concentrates
carbonic acid that in turn produces a high percentage of potassium carbonate
in the solids.  When exposed to water in the dough, the potassium carbonate
reverts to potassium hydroxide freeing carbon dioxide.

Use of the term potash in English begins in the latter half of the16th
Century, so its use in German and Dutch predates that.

The lye in German baking is as a solution brushed on the crust to alter the
crust in the baking process.  Potash is used as a leaven.  Without some
accurate records, there is no way to tell how the two are related other than
both result from leaching wood ash.

Bear