[Sca-cooks] question about breads

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sun Jun 5 12:19:38 PDT 2005

Am Sonntag, 5. Juni 2005 20:56 schrieb Huette von Ahrens:
> --- Volker Bach <carlton_bach at yahoo.de> wrote:
> > I think I did, but here it is again, anyway.
> >
> > Men schal nemen garophesneghele unde musschaten, cardemomen,
> > peper, ingever, alle lickwol gheweghen, unde make daraff botteren
> > edder kese
> >
> > You shall take cloves, nutmeg, cardamom, pepper and ginger, in equal
> > weight, and make butter or cheese of it (or: add butter or cheese)
> > (Wolfenbüttel MS, c. 1500, northern Germany)
>
> Thank you for the recipe!  I do have a comment to make.  It is very
> interesting as I recently asked Dr. Gloning a question which he just sent
> me an answer to.  He quoted from the Wolfenbüttel MS also, but said its
> date was 1598.  Is his date a typo or is yours?

That is interesting. On his website he states '15th century', but IIRC Wiswe
dates it late in the 15th. In fact from the recipe corpus I would be tempted
to place it earlier (though the language looks modern to the untutored eye).
Could it be a confusion with the Wolfenbüttel print of de Rontzier?

> > A redaction is unnecessary. I find the mixture very pleasant in butter,
> > less so in cream cheese. A generous pinch of salt improves it, but as
> > period butter was often salted for preservation that probably just comes
> > closer to the original flavour. A generous teaspoonful, with a little
> > less salt, is enough for a stick of butter.
>
> Did you add salt to unsalted butter or to salted butter?  I can get both
> here.

We only get unsalted, unless we specially look for Scandinavian imports.

> > The recipe’s intent in mentioning ‘cheese’ might be to have the spice
> > blend used during cheesemaking, which could give a very nice aroma
> > indeed. I have never been able to try this myself, though. Any feedback
> > on the matter from a cheesemaker will be much appreciated.
>
> Kraft recently came out with a cinnamon flavored cream cheese, which is
> sweetened. It tasted fine to me.  But I think that it was the sugar [or
> whatever sweetener they used] that made the concoction palatable to me.
> Have you tried this recipe with quark or with ricotta?

I tried quark and cream cheese, and both were OK. If I ever find the time,
though, I want to use it as an additive or coating for Boterkaas. The Danes
still make it with caraway and pepper, and it's delicious.

Giano