[Sca-cooks] Kitchen Madness..grits

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Jun 5 16:20:19 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> According to http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Urban/ifa-control
> Grits
> A long-standing folklore method of controlling fire ants (and other ants)
has been to pour grits over the mound. The assumption in some cases has been
that the ingested grit particles absorb water and cause the ants to
"explode". However, fire ants (and ants in general) feed primarily on
liquified foods and their digestive tracts filter out these solid particles.
Results of laboratory studies at Texas A&M University have shown that
foraging fire ants collect the grits, but there is no reduction in the
number of ants in the colony.

> Mordonna (Who tried dozens of folk remedies before giving up and zapping
them with chemicals)

You may be right- I don't know, it's something I've heard but never had
reason to try. Only time I ever had trouble with ants, they ate their way
through a freezer-type baggy, into my happy weed, many years ago ;-) No
longer do happy weed, so just don't care what they do ;-)

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.