[Sca-cooks] Re: Documentation for Presentation

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 6 04:22:24 PDT 2005

Nichola reported that Nancy Kiel wrote:
>Out of curiosity, is there evidence for houses being made
>in such detail, perhaps as subtleties? I've heard of castles
>as subtleties of course, but did they do interior details?

The Andalusian _Manuscrito Anonimo_ of the 13th century has a recipe for
"cast sugar" items which is boiled sugar poured into molds.  I can't lay my
hands on the Charles Perry edition, but the prior one (my translation) ends
with "Then decorate it [this refers to the molded item] with gilt...(snip)
If you want to make a tree or a figure of a castle, cut it piece by piece.
Then decorate it room by room (section by section) and stick it together
with mastic until you complete the figure you want, if God wills."  The
title in that version was "Figures dressed in sugar".

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/