[Sca-cooks] malt

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 6 07:06:46 PDT 2005

The leavening agents primarily used were ale barm (liqour from the active
ferment on the top of the ale pot) and starter.  Malt was definitely not
used as a leaven.  It can be used to feed a leaven or as a sweetner
depending on the quantity used.  The earliest recipe I've encountered to add
malt to dough is in Markham's The English Housewife which is just out of
period and would place the practice in Elizabethean times.

I've used both malt extract syrup and powdered diamalt in bread.  I prefer
the syrup for sweetening and the powder for boosting the fermentation.

Bear