[Sca-cooks] Seeking

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 6 10:34:00 PDT 2005

The aerobic/anaerobic cycle in a starter completes in about 12 hours at room
temperature.  Once the fermentation stops, mold growth can set in.  Three
days without refrigeration or feeding would turn my starter into a mold
factory, which is why I recommend feeding daily if the starter is at room
temperature and once every three days if refrigerated.

Flour isn't sterile.  There is usually enough yeast in the flour to take
advantage of the amylase reaction between the water and the flour.  So, you
should be able to get a starter even if you don't bake a lot.

The flavor of sourdough depends on the lactobacilli in the starter.  Adding
milk will spike the lactobacilli.  It may also make the starter more prone
to infection.

Sugar will boost the yeast production, but may do so at the expense of the
lactobacilli.

I've never seen it take more than three days to get a good fermentation
rolling, but it may take several months and a number of uses to get proper
flavor and potency.

Bear