[Sca-cooks] Earth Apples?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 6 17:14:33 PDT 2005

Based on a discussion with Thomas Gloning, Rumpolt's Erdapfel translates
into Latin as melopepone, which is indicative of a round, ribbed cucurbit.
Leonard Fuchs' Herbal of 1545 shows a roughly globular cucurbit that is
probably a New World squash and would meet the definition.

Slightly later German sources that I am familiar with use some form of
Kartoffel to identify white potates and the common or Spanish potato (sweet
potato) uses some form of batata in most European countries.

Other things to consider:  the climate in Germany does not lend itself to
sweet potato cultivation; the evidence for the white potato in northern
Europe begins with a scientific sample delivered to Clusius in 1587; further
documentation suggests white potatoes were still experimental at the turn of
the century; maize, chili peppers, and squash appear to have been introduced
into Central Europe via Hungary by the Turks in the mid-16th Century.

Based on what I have found, I'd say Rumpolt's Erdapfel is a winter squash of
some kind.

Are you going to serve turkey at the feast?

Bear