[Sca-cooks] herb uses

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jun 11 13:11:39 PDT 2005

Da replied to me with:
>   I was asking about a more specific topic book such as Anti- bug
> Herbs.  I
> have dozens of herb usage books but most of them don`t have bug
> repellant
> abilities of in them. So I was pondering if there is a marker that
> makes a herb a viable bug repellant.

I would have thought that bug repellants would be a rather common use
mentioned in various herb usage books.

However, I found another :-) file which you might like better.
insect-prtctn-msg (13K)  5/27/04    Insect repellants and protection.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/insect-prtctn-msg.html

Some of the comments in there are similar to the ones voiced here
recently. (Hi 'Lainie!). Another one which I thought interesting was
this comment by Elizabeth:

> Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 00:05:29 -0700
> From: david friedman <ddfr at best.com>
> Subject: Re: SC - Insect repellant = sekanjabin
>
> At 11:53 PM -0700 9/20/00, Bonne of Traquair wrote:
> >I've been ignoring the insect repellant threads but was idly reading
> >the vinegar bottle at dinner this evening and came across this on
> >the back of the label under 'Other Uses for Vinegar'
> >So, now we have another reason to serve sekanjabin to the fighters:
> >internal bug repellant.
>
> I know people who say that this works, but one needs to start
> drinking it a couple weeks before one needs the repellant effect.
> I've encouraged my kids to drink it at and before Pennsic on that
> basis. I've never done any controlled experiments, though, so am not
> sure it works.
>
> Elizabeth/Betty Cook

Stefan
--------