[Sca-cooks] chile, chili, chilli

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jun 11 15:00:17 PDT 2005

In contemporary sources, Columbus comments on the number of caravelles full
he can send to Spain.  Oviedo places them in Italy around 1535.  They appear
in Fuchs Herbal of 1545.  Turner places them in England by 1538.  I don't
know if these authors merely referenced the plant or mentioned their
culinary properties.

Bernardino de Sahagun describes how chilies were used in cooking in Mexico
in the late 1570s.  But the earliest European reference I've encountered to
eating peppers is a recipe for tomato sauce from the late 17th Century.

Bear