[Sca-cooks] chile, chili, chilli

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 11 17:30:23 PDT 2005

> From: "Terry Decker" <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net>
> >In contemporary sources, Columbus comments on the number of caravelles full
> >he can send to Spain.  Oviedo places them in Italy around 1535.  They appear
> >in Fuchs Herbal of 1545.  Turner places them in England by 1538.  I don't
> >know if these authors merely referenced the plant or mentioned their
> >culinary properties.

If I read Bears message correctly, Columbus' comments are about how much he _can_ send, not
how much he _did_ send.  Every account that I have read always talks about how Columbus
brought back peppers from the New World.  What they don't write about is how he actually
accomplished this feat, since it must have taken months to return to Spain.  Today I could
pick a peck of peppers and hop onto a plane and be in Spain in six or seven hours and the
peppers would still be edible when I arrived.  How did Columbus manage to arrive in Spain
with a cargo of edible peppers?  Or tomatoes for that fact?  If he brought seeds, which
would survive such a voyage, it would take some time for the seeds to be planted, hopefully
grow and thrive and hopefully bear fruit.  But I cannot buy that he sent caravelles full of
picked fruit that arrived in perfect condition months later.

Huette