[Sca-cooks] Introductions.. And Meat Pies

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Tue Jun 14 10:48:59 PDT 2005

At 09:30 AM 6/14/2005, you wrote:
>Hail and well met m'lords and ladies,
>
>      I am Vladimir Armbruster, hailing from the fine Barony of Aquaterra
> in the glorious Kingdom of An Tir.

Nifty! I'm Elaine de Montgris, though my friends call me 'Lainie. I'm
living in Three Mountains (Portland, OR). *sigh* An early 15th c French
woman marooned in the land of the Norse and Mongols... ;-)

>     And now, I have been doing some seeking regarding food and food
> related items as I attempt to put together a period encampment.  And had
> hoped to both contribute, and find stimulating conversation here.

This is the place to get it, all right!

If you haven't already, you should talk to Anne-Marie d'Ailleurs, who is
sometimes on this list. She was recently Baroness of Madrone, and someone
should be able to point her out to you. She and many of her friends are
actively working on period encampment and cooking, and they have a wealth
of information.

>     My initial interest is in a portable meat-pie that can quite easily
> be served cold or hot, and perhaps stored half-finished to be prepared at
> an event.  I have come across a few recipes, but I was hoping that
> perhaps the good gentles of the cooks list might have a recipe with some
> period connections?

Check out the 'Pyes of Paris', which appear to be exactly what you are
looking for. My lord Edouard, who lives on the edge of the civilized world,
in Glyn Dwfn (Ashland, OR), has been experimenting with them, and is very
happy with the results. He's on this list, though mostly lurks. If he
doesn't pop up with something to say, I can give you his address privately.

>It is good to meet you all, and I look forward to many an interesting
>discourse on period cullinary excellence!

And the occasional discussion of Twinkies... we occasionally get silly! :-)

Welcome to the list- I hope you enjoy yourself!

'Lainie