[Sca-cooks] Question & Artemisian Iron Chef

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 16 13:59:51 PDT 2005

Jeanne P / Casamira <jeannecas at gmail.com>
>I need some good period sources for Chinese / Persian cooking that
>show which ingredients were used in period.
>Was Coconut milk ever used?  Can it be documented?
>I know it's not part of Mediterianian, French or English medieval fare.

Well, i haven't run across Chinese Persian cooking :-)

But i have found information about Persian cooking in two books.

One is the inestimable "Medieval Arab Cookery". While none of the
cookbooks therein are Persian, Charles Perry has footnoted
extensively, pointing out the Persian linguistic and cultural roots
of many of the recipes. There are also quite a few essays by Perry
discussing specific styles or ingredients, and many of them touch on
Persian cooking. I find this book to be invaluable.

The other is a recently published Indian cookbook with Persian
content, The Ni'matnama Manuscript of the Sultans of Mandu: The
Sultan's Book of Delights, translated by Norah M. Titley.
RoutledgeCurzon, 2005.

So while neither is purely Persian, "Medieval Arab Cookery" shows the
confluence of Arab and Persian, and the Ni'matnama shows the
confluence of Persian and Indian.

I have heard of surviving Persian cookbooks, but to the best of my
understanding one or two exist, but have never been translated into
English.

Was coconut milk used? By whom? Obviously it was used in the tropical
regions where the coconut palm grows... but i don't recall any
European recipes using it, nor any Arab recipes. It does show up in
the Perso-Indian cookbook...
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita