[Sca-cooks] fruit trees

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun Jun 19 04:41:36 PDT 2005

Was written:

> I haven't found any effective bird and squirrel deterrents.  My mother
used to cover the ultra
> dwarf peach tree with cheesecloth, but that really didn't do any good.
The apricot trees
> are 40' and 30' tall.  There isn't much one can do to protect such large
trees.  Other than
> perhaps a squirrel stalking cat.  Hmmm ... I should look into hawks and
owls too, although
> they probably wouldn't like living in an urban area.

You can get plastic/fiberglass fake owls, they are used to scare birds and
might scare squirrels as well.  There are several types, some are just a
roosting owl but I think some have wings that move with the wind.  You will
probably need to move them around.  Is the area the trees are located in
fenced and the trees placed such that squirrels need to cross open ground to
get to them?  If so getting/borrowing a dog might work.   Regards squirrels
there are always wire noose snares and if the area is sufficently rural the
old 22.  They may be rats with good PR but they are tasty rats.

Daniel