[Sca-cooks] Hulwa? Related Sweets?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Jun 19 05:34:09 PDT 2005

On Jun 19, 2005, at 1:58 AM, Mike C. Baker / Kihe Blackeagle wrote:

> Having been introduced to this confection today by HL Saqra al-
> Kudsi, in her kitchen as part of advanced preparation for
> Lindenwood Midsummer Masked Ball this year, I am looking for more
> information about the origins, variations, and related developments
> that may exist out there.  (For those who may be as new to this
> concept as I was, hulwa [hul-wah?] might be considered an ancestor
> or parallel development of divinity and similar boiled-sugar
> candies...)
>
> Along similar lines, what about variations on the theme such as a
> softer delicacy I grew up enjoying in central Oklahoma, probably
> originating from a _Grit_ or _Capper's Weekly_ recipe:  Date-Nut Log

Which, in turn, sounds a bit like rahat-loukhoum, a.k.a. Turkish
Delight, so maybe we just came full circle. Hulwa is any of quite a
few several sweets of the boil it, pour it into a pan, and cut it
into chunks type, and can be made from several different ingredients.
Sesame paste is a common modern commercial ingredient, but almonds,
pistachios, semolina, date syrups, maybe coconut, and what seems like
a billion other types were either found in period, or are today found
in a geographical band of Islamic influence from Gibraltar to
Southeast Asia.

There are several recipes for different types of hulwa in al-
Baghdadi, as I recall, and this is probably
a good starting point. You can also find worked-out recipes in the
Florilegium (I assume) and in Cariadoc's Miscelleny.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04