[Sca-cooks] Seasoning a Potjie

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Jun 19 11:08:32 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

If we can arrange this, I think the best thing would be to have a big
> fire there, season the pot for a few hours while digging the garden, then
try
> bake a roast in clay in the embers and use the potjie for a veggie stew
and/
> or bread to go with it. Sounds like the perfect way to spend a Saturday.
>
> I'll have to make her something nice in return. Maybe a leather costrel.
>
> Giano

Caution- you don't want flame while you're seasoning- it'll just burn up the
oil. Make a bed of coals, add the pot, then you can add more wood to the
fire area, and scrape coals towards the pot as the wood becomes coals.

Also, just because the pot is black doesn't mean it has cooled. Either plan
on leaving the potjie there until the fire is dead out, or arrange some way
to move it without you touching it- a bar that can go through the bail, and
lift it, with one of you on each end, for example. You do NOT want to cool
the thing suddenly, or it will crack or break- cast iron is pretty fragile.
I know, I've broken it ;-) And once it's broken, it's pretty worthless.
There are ways to weld it, but it's never as good as it was before it broke,
and it can't readily be remelted and reformed.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.