[Sca-cooks] Seasoning a Potjie

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Jun 19 12:36:34 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> hmmm ... I was thinking of using commercial barbecue charcoal and keeping
the
> pot in there for a few hours, then lifting it out with a broomstick or
> something like it and putting it down on the paving stones to cool for an
> hour or so. Will that work?
>
> Giano

Probably, as long as you put it down gently, and the stones are not very
cold. If you can put it on its legs, then let it air dry, it'll be fine. You
might, however, want something heftier than a broomstick to lift it with.
Not sure of the weight of your potjie, but I can guarantee you don't want a
500+ degree pot hitting the ground hard and shattering, sending hot shards
everywhere. Broomsticks are not designed to be weightbearing ;-) And,
they're usually cheap wood, so a flaw is quite possible. Not a problem if it
breaks while you're sweeping your floor, but what you'll be doing could be a
problem, so think and plan BEFORE you get involved.

BTW, briquets don't last very long-they're basicly compressed sawdust- so
plan on refreshing them about every half hour. All you'll need to do is add
some on top of your burning coals, and by the time they've burned down, the
new ones should be burning nicely.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.