[Sca-cooks] fruit trees

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 19 18:43:00 PDT 2005

Jane Boyko wrote:

> Yea, I hate that rule too.  We just bought a house in suburbia and I
> have squirrels digging in my potted herbs and taking my onions and
> replanting them upside down.  The cat gave chase once but the little
> buggers have returned.  I swear they watch from the trees for me to
> turn my back.  Anyhow, yesterday at Home Depot I was shown a solar
> powered disk which emits a high pitch noise intended to deter
> squirrels, skunks, raccoons etc but not affect cats.  Its $34.95 Cdn.
> I am tempted to buy it but it does not work when the sun isn't
> shining.  It will hold a charge for 5 hours.
> Marina

We don't have any fruit trees mature enough to really bear fruit...and
besides, the deer get to them before the squirrels do.  Our big problem
is with our bird food...especially the peanuts that we like to feed the
woodpeckers...we have tried everything, including putting red pepper in
the bird seed, using baffles and, where possible, using squirrel-proof
bird feeders.  The latest batch of feeders works pretty well, but not
for woodpeckers.  The baffle worked for about two hours before the
little buggers figured out how to get around it.  I guess we could shoot
them...folks do hunt in the woods around here...but I'm told that
there's a "season" for squirrels and a pretty large fine if you violate
it.  So...dunno what to do!

Kiri