[Sca-cooks] Fwd: [Channel 8] PBS Funding Update

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 20 14:30:38 PDT 2005

Mordonna wrote:

>I do not believe this to be urban myth, or an internet spoof.  It was sent to me by a PBS station that I support.  If you choose to respond, go to www.house.gov/writerep/ to get an email address for you representative.
>

>Earlier this month, a key subcommittee of the U.S. House of Representatives voted to drastically cut federal funding for public broadcasting. In addition, they voted to eliminate funding for the Ready to Learn program, which enables PBS to produce educational and commercial-free children's programming for Channel 8 such as Sesame Street, Reading Rainbow and Arthur.
>
>Some in Congress say there is no longer a need to support public broadcasting. Others believe it is one of the worthiest places to invest federal funds. We hope you will call and weigh in with your Congressman on this question, one way or the other.
>
>Please act soon. The full House of Representatives could take final action on these cuts by Wednesday, June 22nd.
>
>Below you will find contact information for your Congressional representatives. It's important that Washington hear from you before making their decision.

It is not an urban myth or in any way untrue.  I also have received
similar communications from MoveOn PAC, the Democratic Central
Committee, Maryland Progressive and the Women Democrats.  In fact,
through, I think, MoveOn, I signed a petition that is to be distributed
to members of Congress.  If any of you out there are interested, go the
MoveOn PAC Web site (www.moveon.org).  The information about this is the
first item on their page, along with a link to the petition.  I have no
children...and Sesame Street wasn't even on the horizon when I was a
child (I was 6 when I saw my first TV), but I can't imagine children
growing up and having a head start on learning that Sesame Street and
its wonderful characters bring.

Kiri