[Sca-cooks] Meat Pies (partially cooked)

Terri Morgan nothingbutadame at inthe.sca.org
Tue Jun 21 11:42:23 PDT 2005

Mairi wrote:
> Coleman makes one that sits on top of
> your camp stove, and is usually available
> at WalMart type places.  It folds down,
> so it takes no space at all when packing.
> The negative is that it is small, no more
> than +/- 15x15 at the most, maybe smaller.

I've got one of these. I used it at Gulf Wars and found that if you seal the
thing with foil on the outside, it works. If you don't - it doesn't. But
then, it's a cheap product. Cheap or not, however, I cooked rolls, buns, and
pasties in it with no problem other than finding small enough pans to fit
inside. The food came out evenly cooked (once the foil idea blossomed) and
didn't taste of the gas used to heat it. I, too, had puppy-dog faced
fighters watching my oven for me while I worked. It was a grand thing to be
able to thank them for their help in setting up our camp!
   The oven is a propane-waster, though. But with anything needing 15-30
minutes of baking time, that's going to happen. I've retired the oven in
favour of a cast iron pot in the coals (when I can have a fire).

Hrothny