[Sca-cooks] "Trial By Fire" Ad (cooking competition!)

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Jun 21 22:00:07 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Im really sorry that olwen put the silly damed thing on this list .It was
not ment to be the butt of jokes ,pokes or anyones deep seated hatreds Of
some one elses fun. Im angry as of now and am asking people to drop this
thred.please. Chirhart- no longer amused

Well, Chirhart, I wasn't amused when you poohpoohed my concerns. I tolerated
it, because I happen to care about you a great deal, but I personally found
it quite upsetting.

The problem is not just one instance of "someone else's fun", it's a
constant erosion of what we're out here, supposedly doing. In theory,
anyway, we're an educational organization learning and studying about the
historical period prior to Dec 1, 1600.

This thing about limiting our period to pre-1650, and no earlier than 650 is
a constant irritation, eroding our attempts at cheerful recreation, at least
for those of us with an interest in early period. It's rather like
"Feastocrat",  "Porta-castles", and "Dragons"- cute, but rather silly,
considering there are perfectly adequate and period terms for each of those
functions- yet the terms are incredibly prevalent. As I said, a constant
erosion.

Had you chosen to limit your time period to something like, say, 15th and
16th century northern Europe, or Medieval Arabic, or something like that,
I'd have no objection, but the "limitation" you've chosen will appear to the
uninitiated to be all of SCA time period- and it isn't. It's particularly
annoying when coming from a group like your Bright Hills Cooking Guild,
which in general, are providing tremendous leadership in the Cooking Arts in
your area of the Knowne World.

If you can swear to me that no one will say, "Oh yes, I entered a cooking
contest sponsored by Bright Hills that covered all of SCA period," I'll
withdraw my objection to the chosen dates.

But until then, my objection stands.

Lady Philippa Ferraria
Cook, Chirugeon, Smith, and Hard Head