[Sca-cooks] Cream

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jun 22 15:54:29 PDT 2005

  Holly Stockley gave some interesting comparisons between modern and
medieval milk products including:
> The CLOSEST would be heavy cream.  But even that isn't quite the same
> animal.  Two problems with modern dairy products....  One, they're
> standardized for butterfat content.  Whole milk at 4 percent, heavy
> cream at
> 35-40, etc.  Largely because it's not the same coming out of the cow.
> The
> super-volume modern holsteins are lucky to top 3.8%.  Guernseys and
> Jerseys
> have been know to make it to 8%.  The dairy industry has created
> categories
> to ensure a consistent product.

I'm curious how these set fat ratios are achieved these days,
particularly since the amount of fat differs from breed to breed, cow
to cow and even season to season.

Do they have a method for removing the fat, so that they just pour all
the milk together making an average amount of fat, and then remove
various amounts to make the various milk products? Or do they end up
mixing X amount of Holstein milk with Y amount of Guernsey milk to
create a certain percentage? How do they take care of individual
differences or season differences? Although I guess if you are dealing
with large enough quantities you can test and then mix. 4 1/2 tankers
of Holstein milk with 1 1/3 tankers of Guernsey milk etc.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com