[Sca-cooks] Aquamanile - What is it?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jun 22 16:14:25 PDT 2005

Mordonna mentioned:
> I thought I knew, as my Grandmother always called her pottery
> hand-washing basin an aquamanile.  Then you guys started talking about
> harts and cats.  So I looked it up.  Most dictionaries say it is an
> ewer or pitcher.  However, the New Catholic Dictionary says it's the
> basin a priest washes his hands in during mass...
> The latin means water basin...
> I suppose it is another of those words whose meaning has emigrated from
> it's original object to another closely associated with it.

Interesting. Either a pitcher or a basin, but in either case meant for
washing hands. I suspect there were just simple pitcher shapes used as
aquamaniles. However, the fancier, animal shaped ones would likely be
the ones more likely to be kept and cherished and passed on.

For those interested in more details on these, you might want to take a
look at this file:
aquamaniles-msg   (12K)  5/25/02    Fancy period jugs to hold water for
washing.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/aquamaniles-msg.html

Stefan
--------